5 Tips for DIY Mold Removal

The occupants of any commercial or residential building are at risk of developing health problems when black mold infestation is left unresolved. Oftentimes, the symptoms may be mistaken for an ordinary flu. However, when you seemed to have developed a persistent allergy or when the symptoms of flu persist, you need to address the underlying mold issue that may be causing this.

Before calling a professional to resolve the problem, you need to figure out if you can do this job on your own first. Once you confirmed black mold is causing your allergy or flu symptoms, assess the affected area. Simply looking at the size of the mold growth will give you an idea of how much time and effort removal will take. Once you confirmed you can handle mold remediation in the area, here are 5 tips for DIY mold removal.

  1. Wear Protective gears. Remember to protect yourself from inhaling or skin contact with mold spores and take necessary precautions. Wear something you can dispose of or easily remove after mold removal. Use gloves, a respirator or mask, and protective eyeglasses.
  2. Find the source. The first step in your DIY project is to find the moisture’s source of the infestation. Once you have addressed the source you can curb the mold growth right away. This is very crucial because mold will continue to grow back if you are not able to stop it properly.
  3. Contain the infected area. You need to contain the mold infected areas to eliminate the possibility of black mold spreading to other parts of your home. Tape in plastic sheeting to seal off your working area. This will avert the spreading of mold spores before you begin the removal.
  4. Use the right cleaning materials. Gather all the materials needed before you start cleaning the infected areas: water, detergent, sponges, and a blow dryer, if preferred. Mix detergent with water and thoroughly scrub off black molds with a sponge. Remove mold as well as cleaning other areas surrounding it even if there’s no visible infection on the surface.
  5. Disinfect and let it dry. Any remaining mold after scrubbing must be killed by using disinfectant. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing with just plain clean water. You have the option to use a blow dryer as a faster means of drying out the cleaned surface, or simply let it air-dry completely. This prevents the possibility of black mold from growing back.

Don’t forget to dispose all your cleaning materials properly once you’re done with your DIY mold removal. While bleach is a good solution for cleaning out ordinary stains, black mold is a different matter. Bleaching the mold infested area will cause more damage to infected areas due to its active ingredients incompatible to the building materials your house is made of. There is also the danger of toxic gas formation in mixing bleach with other chemicals found in your household. While DIY can save you money, your best option is to call a professional to do mold removal in your home.